This is the work blog for the KDE Visual Design Group a group of dedicated designers striving to improve community participation in design for KDE as well as design work in general for KDE applications and Plasma.

torsdag 29 maj 2014

System Settings and new VDG members

In which we introduce the work on System Settings, talk about our new members and the action group for System Settings.



Right, a while back we had some additions to the VDG team: Anditosan, Gartheco and Ken300 - I promised then that I would make little avatar images for them (which I haven't done, mea culpa etc) but that doesn't mean they've been resting or doing nothing.

Gartheco joined Andrew Lake in working with the new window decorations - as I've posted about before. Being a veteran Aurorae theme designer and a QML genius he and Andrew work in tandem to fiddle with bits about that.



Anditosan and Ken300 where both doing work on System Settings redesign and joined forces with Heiko Tietze and Thomas Pfeiffer from the HIG team to work on the question "How will system settings work in the future?". Together they make up the System Settings Action Group (it's like a superhero team, only less spandex and more thinking) and if you want to contribute with ideas I can only suggest that you go to the forum and post your mockups and help out!
Now with System Settings this is a "way into the future" job - because we are working on the "bit-by-bit" production model AND lets be frank here, the devs are more or less working 24/7 getting the first version of Plasma Next out the door.
But this is what system settings will work like in the future - it's what they work on that will shape the things to come.



Also can I say something that is cool? I am right now struggling to keep up. My intray is massive, I keep trying to read blog posts and forums posts as fast as possible. Individual members of the VDG community are doing awesome work in the forums and I can hardly keep up. I spend hours trying to answer one thing and work on it, then notice someone else have already done it.
This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Yes it's kinda harrowing but it's amazing the amount of work done.
Tomorrow I'll have a "what Jens need to do" day, and start making lists and tick them off one by one. My greatest challenge for the near future is getting the right design work and designers in contact with the right devs... THATS the tricky bit right now and where I should spend my time.

Why? Because whatever work I can do, the VDG community is doing it quicker, better and cooler than I ever could alone.

You guys and girls ROCK! <3

18 kommentarer:

  1. Guys, you are FANTASTIC!!!!!
    Thanks for all of this work
    It's amazing

    SvaraRadera
  2. That's looking pretty fantastic! A problem I see with the System Settings is the unnecessary use of the sidebar in the first image, it's redundant since you have its content in the middle.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yea, and the rather large amount of wasted space in the second image.

      Radera
  3. The current form of settings is a maze of clicks. I am glad the way it's turning out to be. I hope all appearance related stuff will end up in one tab.

    SvaraRadera
  4. I agree that System Settings in general needs to be revamped, to me it is not that intuitive. And while I do like the concept behind the one shown in the last image of this post, I really think that you should NOT use the slightly-darker-grey font on a slightly-less-grey background. I saw that mock-up in a full resolution in a Google+ post, and I could barely read the text. Just make the text a bit darker and I think it'll be fine (I'm in particular referring to the first screenshot of the last image in this blog post).

    SvaraRadera
  5. The System Settings shots remind of GNOME a bit, but that's probably due to the icon theme. I can imagine it with Oxygen icons, and I like what I'm imagining :)

    SvaraRadera
  6. Great progress! System Settings is such a complex and interdependent application, so if we can successfully rework that, most applications will be fairly simple to refine so long as their UI isn't tied too closely to the backend code.

    Of course, it's highly likely people will be porting their applications to QML just to streamline the modification of their UIs in the future. I'm really excited for what's around the corner, since Qt has always been an awesome toolkit and it will be nice to see it shine on the desktop.

    Honestly, aside from the amazing work done by the core VDG members, the willingness to accept contributions is really encouraging. I think I might actually be able to put some of my knowledge to good use in KDE if this trend continues.

    SvaraRadera
  7. Wow, really awsome work! Don't stress it, give it the time it deserves! :)

    SvaraRadera
  8. Please, make the UI shown in Image 2 the standard for all settings. The amount of screen "wasted" serves to a) trace a quick relationship between items and b) quickly switch between entire branches of the settings tree. Don't think about changing it :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Same here, Love the mockup that you can with a quick glance detect the location of your current settings and other related.

      Radera
  9. Really awesome work being done here!

    Keep it up guys!

    SvaraRadera
  10. I love the new design and I personally don't think the left side is "wasted" space. More like extra room to breathe :) unless of course it's gonna be used for small screens.

    SvaraRadera
  11. Just a short impression: I like the new systemsettings UI with the sidebar a lot! Finally systemsettings gets easy to grasp.

    SvaraRadera
  12. VERY NICE, pretty, fantastic AND intuitive !!!

    SvaraRadera
  13. It looks really fantastic.
    Will it be installable on Kubuntu with a PPA?

    SvaraRadera